16th January 2012, www.colombopage.com, Photos By Sudath Silva
The Emir of Qatar Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani who arrived in Sri Lanka for a two-day official visit on the invitation of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has concluded his visit and left the country this morning.
Bilateral discussions were conducted between the representatives of Sri Lanka led by the President Mahinda Rajapaksa and the representatives of the Kingdom of Qatar led by the Emir.
During the Emir's highly successful visit representatives of the two countries have signed six Memoranda of Understanding and three other agreements on Sunday at the Temple Trees.
Both countries have agreed to set up a high level joint committee and Sri Lanka's External Affairs Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris on behalf of Sri Lanka and the Foreign Minister of the State of Qatar Khaled bin Mohamed Al-Attiyah for the State of Qatar signed the relevant MoU.
The other agreements signed between the two countries included the following:
• An agreement on cooperation in the fields of Economic, Commerce and Technology was signed by Qatari Minister of Economic Affairs and Finance, Yousef Hussain Kamal and the Sri Lankan Minister of Commerce and Industries, Rishad Bathiyutheen.
• An agreement on the cooperation in the field of Cultural Affairs was signed by Qatari Foreign Minister, Dr. Khaled Bin Mohamed Al - Attiyah and Minister of Cultural Affairs and Arts, T.B. Ekanayake.
• An agreement on the cooperation in the field of legal affairs signed by the Qatari Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Khaled Bin Mohamed Al - Attiyah and Sri Lanka Minister of Justice Rauf Hakeem.
• MOU on cooperation in the field of Tourism signed by Qatari Minister of Economic Affairs and Finance, Yusef Hussain Kamal and the Deputy Minister of Economic Development, Laxman Yapa Abeywardena.
• An agreement on cooperation in the field of Civil Aviation signed by Qatari Foreign Minister, Dr. Khaled Bin Mohamed Al - Attiyah and the Minister of Civil Aviation, Priyankara Jayaratne
• An agreement on cooperation between the Sri Lanka Board of Investment and Qatari Board of Investment in the field of Land Sector Investment signed by the Executive Director of Qatari Diar Sate investment company, Mohamed HH Al Hedfa on behalf of Kingdom of Qatar and the Chairman of Sri Lanka Board of Investment, M.M.C. Ferdinando on behalf of Sri Lanka
• An agreement on Sri Lanka Board of Investment and the Qatari Holding Company on cooperation in the field of Investment signed by the General Manager and the Chief Executive of Qatari Holding Company, Ahamed Mohamed Al Sayed on behalf of the Kingdom Qatar and the Chairman of Sri Lanka Board of Investment, M.M.C. Ferdinando on behalf of Sri Lanka
President Rajapaksa hosted the Qatari leader and his delegation for a state banquet at the President's House on Sunday. The Emir enjoyed a cultural dance staged by the Cultural Unit of Sri Lanka Police following the dinner.
Related Info :
• Emir of Qatar to Visit Sri Lanka. Two Agreements to be Signed on Investment Promotion, Protection & Cooperation in Education & Research
• Qatar Sri Lanka Investment & Trade to Expand with a Joint Commission and Proposed Investment Agreement